Guidelines for Standard Submissions
The Madison Review accepts poetry, fiction, and art submissions during our reading period. We publish two issues, one online in fall and one physical in the spring.
We accept submissions on a rolling basis, so if we release an issue before we contact you with a decision on your work, don't worry, you are still being considered for publication.
Simultaneous submissions are welcome as long as you notify us of publication elsewhere. Manuscripts must be previously unpublished. Submissions should include a cover-letter complete with contact information and the name(s) of your story or poem(s).
Art submission guidelines:
Art submissions should be submitted through the new art folder. Please read all guidelines under the category. Please include a cover letter.
The Madison Review accepts contest submissions from November 1, 2021 to January 1, 2022.
Phylis Smart-Young prize in poetry:
- Phylis Smart-Young submissions should adhere to poetry submission standards, with the exception the 5-poem maximum. Submissions should be exactly three poems, no fewer and no more, with a maximum length of 15 pages.
Chris O'Malley prize in fiction:
- Chris O'Malley submissions are to follow the same standards as all other fiction submissions.
A note on the submission fee:
Although we hate the idea of further burdening penniless poets, we have decided to charge two dollars per submission. Rest assured, the change we'll be collecting (about what you would have spent on postage) will be put to good use. Thanks for understanding and never apologize for party rockin'.
Please see the Madsion Review website for more information.
-Please submit 3-5 pieces per submission
-You may submit unlimited amount of submissions. However, each submission's pieces must be unique in that they follow a holistic idea of framing an entire issue. This means, at a minimum, each issue has both a front and back cover art that complement/contrast in an artistic way, with the possibility of inside art sleeves being included as well.
-Keep in mind that your work, if not declined, it is subject to consideration for future issues as well.
-You may withdraw your work at any time
-All work must be in the format of either JPG, TIff, PNG or
-If you have any further questions about formatting or submitting, feel free to email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
-Please submit a short cover leter
-If desired, feel free to include a link to a website with other work if you care for us to peruse
Fiction Submission Guidelines:
- We accept previously unpublished fiction, typed.
- Submissions should be double-spaced, with standard 1" margins.
- Submissions are to be in 12 point, standard font with page numbers.
- Submissions should be no longer than 30 pages.
- Cover letters are to be kept to a 250 word maximum.
- Please submit in .docx file format
Poetry Submission Guidelines:
- Previously unpublished poetry, typed, with standard 1" margins.
- Up to 5 poems with 15 pages combined maximum.
- We do not accept translations of other authors' work or previously published work.